- This event has passed.
Winter in the Caribbean-Watercolor & Acrylic Painting
December 4, 2019 - December 11, 2019$2795
Join Lynn for her painting adventure a little closer to home – Vieques, Puerto Rico!
This will be a week of painting in watercolor or Acrylic with a little bit of collage just for fun. Lynn’s workshop will be familiar and fun. The twist is that instead of Italy, this week will be on the little-known, intimate island of Vieques, PR in the middle of the stunning blue Caribbean Sea.
In our daily plein air painting classes we will explore various settings around the island from lush hilltop vistas to cute Caribbean towns to colorful gardens and beaches. We will use all these settings as subjects to study composition, luminous palettes and brush techniques. We will experiment with the morning or afternoon light in our own plein air paintings, or stay in our comfortable, breezy studio in a quiet corner of the island to work together. We will learn from each other through daily critiques with the instructor. At the end of the program we will hang a final exhibit for all participants and friends on the island.
This is the perfect workshop for beginners as well as experienced artists. Lynn will teach you step by step techniques that guarantee to bring out the creative side in each of you.
To round out our daily painting exercises, we’ll offer some of the following activities so we can experience the culture and history of this special island:
- Tour of the historic fort (now an art museum) with a presentation by a local historian about the more recent events that have shaped Vieques and kept it a tranquil, non-touristic island
- Visit to new Crab Island rum distillery owned and operated by the owner of our guest house
- a sunset cruise around the island
- Painting/photography opportunity at the old lighthouse on the rugged cliffs above the Atlantic Sea
- Cocktail party at Vista Dos Mares, a local home with views of both the Caribbean and the Atlantic Seas.
- Local BBQ dinner on the beach
- optional morning walk on Playa Negra – the black sand beach beside our studio
The following activities will be available for those interested at a separate fee:
- Horseback riding on the beach
- Tour of the Bioluminescent Bay – the brightest in the world!
- Morning yoga on the beach
- Sunset cruise around the island
- Massage overlooking the ocean
For a small island, Vieques has a surprising variety of food opportunities from local Puerto Rican fare to sophisticated cuisine. Rum punch is the staple drink on the island, with sangria following close behind. We’ll be having all breakfasts at our guest house plus 5 meals together throughout the week at a variety of venues, including a dinner at home by our private chef – Linda!
Local painters are encouraged to join our group. There are two tiers of pricing:
- Visiting Painters: housing provided in Hacienda Tamarindo, a tropical guest house: $2,795 p/p; single supplement $475
- Local Painters: $750 – includes workshop, studio access, group excursions, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. (All other meals with group can be charged individually.)
- Balance due by October 1, 2019
- Room (double or single with supplement) with private bathroom-7 nights
- Daily breakfast
- 5 main meals
- Workshop tuition and fees with studio use
- Excursions with transportation/guides (except where noted as optional)
- Transfers between Vieques airport and guest house
Departure is on the morning of December 11th.
Price does not include:
- Art supplies
To Register: just click on the Sign Up Now button. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to secure your spot in the workshop. Payment can be made on line with a credit card, or you can follow the instructions to send in your registration and payment by mail. Once we receive your deposit we will send you a formal Registration Confirmation with further information about the program. You will receive 2-3 other correspondences by email prior to the workshop with information about Vieques, a supplies list and an electronic invoice for the balance. Final Balance is due by October 1st. Any time prior to your arrival, if you have questions about anything regarding travel or the program, you can contact us by email or phone and we’ll be happy to assist you.